Are You Eligible for a Foreign Pension?

border symbolismIf you or your spouse worked outside of Canada, perhaps you are entitled to a retirement pension or other services from abroad. The government of Quebec has entered into social security agreements with about thirty-two other countries, in particular France and the United States. The Régie des rentes du Québec's Bureau des ententes de sécurité sociale (BESS) is responsible for the application of such agreements. This type of agreement allows workers: to obtain a certificate of coverage for work done in a foreign country and to receive a pension from a foreign country.

In places like the Eastern Townships, it is often the case that someone lives in Canada but works in the United States or visa-versa as I am certain is the case elsewhere among border communities. It certainly could help the situation you find yourself in during your retirement years. It doesn’t cost anything to verify your personal information even if it has been many years since you worked in another country. So why not reserve your time with the government representative when they are in the Sherbrooke area.

The table of participating countries gives the worker an overview of the types of benefits that could be paid by the countries that have signed a social security agreement; the various contributions employers and employees who have a certificate of coverage must make for social benefits; links to download the forms needed by employers and self-employed workers to request a certificate of coverage for France and the United States of America.

The following countries have signed a social security agreement with Québec under which it is possible to apply for a pension or obtain a certificate of coverage: Austria; Barbados; Belgium; Chile; Croatia; Cyprus; Czech Republic; Denmark; Dominica; Finland; France; Germany; Greece; Hungary; Ireland; Italy; Jamaica; Luxembourg; Malta; Morocco; Netherlands; Norway; Philippines; Portugal; Saint Lucia; Slovakia; Slovenia; Sweden; Switzerland; Turkey; United States of America; Uruguay.

IMPORTANT: For more on such agreements or rights to such services, an opportunity has been arranged for you to meet with a representative of the Bureau des ententes de sécurité sociale (Office of Social Security agreements) of the Régie des rentes du Québec: 

Wednesday, April 17 & Thursday, April 18, 2013 (Sherbrooke)

Régie des rentes du Québec

200 rue Belvédère Nord, 3rd Floor, Sherbrooke J1H 4A9

** Note: You must have an appointment: Toll free: 1-800-565-7878, ext. 7801

Montreal area: 514-866-7332, ext. 7801